Monday, June 27, 2016

Music then and now

As I was tuning the dial across the radio while driving the other day I noticed that most of the radios stations are playing modern music which today happens to be some derivation of rap. I call it ungabunga rhythm music.

I personally find it hard to make out the words to the message they are trying to purvey. Perhaps it is my untuned ear, but I also found it hard to decipher hard rock or whatever the rock was called where they were screaming at full volume into the microphone the whole time.

I know there were aficionados of that style of music because one of my employees years ago was obsessed with that music or should I say noise. It didn't seem to have any rhythm or melodies just a constant high level of shout.

There is a radio station here in Patzcuaro, which I am sure is a pirate station since technically it is not up to par, having a 60 cycle hum on their carrier that happens to play music that I enjoy.

It is not on all the time and when it is, after some music there is a 5 to 10 minute period of silence where I assume they are scurrying back to find another tape to put on the player or perhaps load a few CD's onto the player.

They play a variety of classical and middle of the road music from decades back, so I would also assume the purveyor of melodies is in their late 50's+.

The kids today listen to rap exclusively and copy body movements designed to look like robots for some reason. I think they call it dancing.

The top hits when I was in high school was  Herb Albert's  The Lonely Bull and Washington Square by the Village Stompers.

Yes rock was starting to become more popular as was the Motown sound, but imaging having instrumentals be on top of the charts. That is something that would be unheard of today.

I guess it was the time for folk music which I still enjoy today
The Kingston Trio, The Brothers Four, The Limelighters, Peter, Paul and Mary, where all groups that you could sing along because you could actually hear the lyrics to the song.

Scanning my Internet radio providers like Spotify and Songza so much of their selections are devoted to Urban which is Rap.  I wonder how many years it will be before the oldies of the 50's and 60's are no longer popular to listen to?

Meanwhile let me see if I can find that Ed Ames album I had in the box.....

No comments: